Here I was in the living room with my family. We were talking about the qualities to look for in a future soulmate. I thought about it for a while and came up with the ones that I thought were most obvious in a Christian.
He would be the guy who was always here for me, no matter what. He’d be kind, understanding, and caring. He would value purity and put God above anything else.
He would be the man of my dreams.
I’ve spent awhile trying to make sure I don’t settle for a guy any less than what I expect. But then it dawned on me.
Am I being fair?
Of course it’s important to know what you expect in your future soulmate before you meet him, but what about when you do meet him? Are you the girl that godly, Christian guys are looking for?
Often times we, as girls, are so focused on what the “perfect guy” will be like that we don’t focus on preparing ourselves to be the selfless, Christian girls that God has called us to be. What I mean is, we can’t expect our future husband to meet the standards that we ourselves aren’t even close to meeting yet.
You may have heard the saying, “practice what you preach”, but I think Jesus has a better way of saying it. Matthew 7:12 says, “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them”.
I know that’s hard to do sometimes, but that’s why God promises to help us. We were never meant to do everything on our own.
God has a plan.
Marriage is something that a lot of girls and women desire to be a part of. Don’t worry! If it’s His will that you take part in the sacred gift of marriage, God is preparing someone very special for you.
Although we tend to want things in our own timing, God has shown us, in His word, ways that we can start preparing now for a relationship later. Here are just a couple ways.
- Choose to love. Even if the feelings aren’t there. In marriage you aren’t always gonna “feel the love” so it’s better to practice now rather than being surprised when you get into a relationship. Read 1 Corinthians 13 to learn what true love really looks like.
- Be a helper. I know, I don’t always feel in the mood to help either, but being a good wife isn’t only about what you want. It’s about sacrifice and when we follow God’s plan, He will fill us with joy and satisfaction.
Waiting can be hard, but let’s use our time as single girls to prepare ourselves for what God may have in store for us later.
What about you?
- What are some characteristics that you want in a future soulmate?
- Have you ever found it hard to wait in God’s perfect timing?
- What are some ways that God has helped you trust Him with your love life?
- How has God helped you prepare for marriage?